Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Movie Review: THE LIMITS OF CONTROL

"I think it's more interesting, all the things one doesn't know, is more fascinating than the things one does know." - Jim Jarmusch

Based on that statement, THE LIMITS OF CONTROL is the most fascinating movie I have ever seen. Or to put it another way: I have no idea what happened in this movie. I mean, I know the events that transpired, but I cannot for the life of me figure out what actually happened, what this movie is supposed to be about. There is almost no dialogue from the central character (hell, there's barely any movement--he spends half the movie lying in bed, staring at the ceiling) and what little dialogue we get from the characters he meets is cryptic and repetitive, dealing primarily with the sensory memories of molecules and musical instruments. (The underlying message of these conversations is that you carry with you everything you have every done, and the universe resonates with you.) In the last ten minutes of the movie we finally get to see him carry out the task he has been moving towards for the last two hours, but we have no idea why he is doing it. In the end, the things we don't know (everything about the movie) outweigh the things we do know (there are people on the screen) and the result isn't fascinating, just frustrating.

I am a big fan of Jim Jarmusch (I own all of his films) and I have never been put off by his slow, meandering style of storytelling before. In this case, however, I would have to say that THE LIMITS OF CONTROL felt more like THE LIMITS OF MY PATIENCE.

No comments: